GoPro action cameras are now the most popular cameras on the marketplace, and rightfully so. These are known most for their amazing features that set them apart, where high-quality and incredibly smooth video recording is their prime feature. GoPros have almost become synonymous with the name ‘action cam’ itself, so it is common to find people refer to this category of cameras as ‘GoPros’ even though they might not actually own that brand lineage. Nonetheless, let’s take a look at the best GoPro products that you can buy today.
We have done our homework and compared a number of GoPro models currently available to buy. Carry these models with you on your adventures and you’ll never again miss those incredible moments to be cherished for a lifetime.
1. GoPro Fusion
- Features: OverCapture; Spherical and traditional photos; Create and share photos via the GoPro app; Burst, Night, Time-lapse, Night-lapse modes; Waterproof.
- Max Photo Resolution: Up to 18 megapixels.
- Max Video Resolution: Up to 5.7K at 30fps.
- Memory: 2 x MicroSD (up to 128GB).
- Dimensions: 2.91 x 2.95 x 1.57 inches.
- Weight: 0.49 pounds.
This camera can easily record 36-degree, 5.7K videos with OverCapture, which results in high-quality images that can also yield immersive experiences using VR. The Fusion has two cameras on either side and automatically stitches the images into one. Therefore, it will let you record 360 images and videos without any problem – all you need to do is ensure you have the very best views facing the camera!
The OverCapture technology will shoot 5.2K videos and allow you to select 1080p anywhere inside. Without a doubt, this is one of GoPro’s most capable cameras at the moment, especially when it comes to its audio recording. The camera features 4 microphones to capture spatial audio in the best possible way. In addition, you can count on the built-in GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, and voice control. The Hero Fusion also has Gimbal-like stabilization, which means you will get super smooth videos even when shooting handheld.
2. GoPro Hero6 Black
- Features: Automatic data transfer; Super smooth footage; Plenty of mounting options; Updated touch zoom; Refreshed UI; 5Ghz Wi-Fi.
- Max Photo Resolution: Up to 12MP/ 30fps burst.
- Max Video Resolution: 4K at 60fps, 1080p at 240fps.
- Memory: microSDHC (up to 128GB).
- Dimensions: 2.6 x 1.8 x 1.4 inches.
- Weight: 0.25 pounds.
One of the most powerful products of this kind on the market today, this camera has a much-deserved place in our list of the best GoPro action cams. The Hero6 Black shoots 4K video at up to 60 fps and you will also be able to shoot Full HD videos at super slow motion frame rates of up to 240 fps. The camera is also waterproof and pretty rugged in design.
The Hero6 can be controlled through the buttons, voice commands or the touchscreen. One of the best cameras indeed for both photographers and videographers. The camera also features touch zoom and GoPro’s most advanced video stabilization algorithms to date, which will ensure you get super smooth videos. One of the best things about GoPro cameras is that you can send the footage to your smartphone where the app analyzes the same and creates beautiful movies out of them. What’s more, the Hero6 pairs with your phone through a faster Wi-Fi interface, which leads to 3 times faster offload speeds. And finally, this model also has built-in GPS and 3 microphones for capturing spatial audio.
3. GoPro Hero5 Black
- Features: Single, burst, and time-lapse mode; Extremely durable build; Waterproof to 33ft; Automatic data transmission.
- Max Photo Resolution: Up to 12MP.
- Max Video Resolution: 4K at 30fps; 1080p at 120fps.
- Memory: microSHDC (up to 128GB).
- Dimensions: 8.8 x 5.8 x 2.6 inches.
- Weight: 0.26 pounds.
An amazing camera indeed that can shoot powerful and cinematic 4K videos at a reduced rate of 30 fps (instead of 60 fps as found in the Hero6). You will also be able to shoot images in the raw image format, which offers limitless possibilities in the editing stage later.
Just like the large portion of action cams made by the company, it features GPS and can be controlled with your voice commands. The product comes with a host of accessories that can be attached to increase the functionality of the tool. Also, this model is QuikStories compatible and will easily pair with your smartphone. This way, you can easily transfer footage and edit it with ease. This camera too features 1-button control, which allows users to easily record with the simple press of a button. Turning the button off while turn off recording, subsequently switching off the camera to conserve power. The Hero5 Black is mounted with 3 high-quality microphones, which allows you to capture great audio quality.
4. GoPro Hero
- Features: Waterproof to 131 feet; Compatible with numerous mounts; QuikCapture mode; Ultra-wide angle lens included.
- Max Photo Resolution: Up to 5MP / 5fps burst.
- Max Video Resolution: 1080p at 30fps; 720p at 60fps.
- Memory: microSD (up to 32GB).
- Dimensions: 4.0 x 4.1 x 9.7 inches.
- Weight: 0.23 pounds.
Make no mistake – the GoPro Hero is an extremely capable camera that does not have the promise of 4K like the more expensive models but still records in Full HD quality at a frame rate of 60 fps, which will result in beautiful, smooth videos. You will also be able to shoot still photographs at up to 5 MP resolution. This is one of the most affordable GoPro cameras at the moment and is ideal for those beginning with their action cam adventures for the first time. Also, this model is a nice way to introduce yourself to the world of action cams and see how their fit into your lifestyle.
5. GoPro Hero 4 (Silver)
- Features: Built-in touch display; W-Fi and Bluetooth support; Built-in video trimming; Cinema-quality capture; Captures videos and photos.
- Max Photo Resolution: Up to 12MP / 30fps burst.
- Max Video Resolution: 1080p at 30fps; 720p at 120fps.
- Memory: microSD (up to 128 GB).
- Dimensions: 1.6 x 2.3 x 1.1 inches.
- Weight: 0.18 pounds.
Not officially sold by the company anymore (but found at third-party retailers), the GoPro Hero4 Black is still a very capable camera that can record high-definition and shake-free videos. Photographers will appreciate the fact that they can shoot 12 MP images at a burst rate of 30fps, which means they need not fear on missing out those action-packed moments. A major drawback of this model is that it has no color touchscreen at the back.
The Hero4 also features Wi-Fi and Bluetooth functionality, which is ideal for transferring images and remotely monitoring the camera. The camera features a very powerful processor, which ensures better image quality and faster frame rates. It also supports ProTune – which allows professionals greater control over the exposure, white balance, color, sharpness, and ISO. You will benefit from an unprecedented level of manual control freedom. If you want something simple, you must know that the QuikCapture function is available in this camera, which turns this device into a simple, one-button model. You just press the button to turn the power on and the camera begins recording automatically. While videos can be recorded by pressing the button once, time-lapses require you to press and hold the button for a short while.
6. GoPro Hero5 Session
- Features: Waterproof to 33 feet; Compatible with 30+ mounts; Voice control; Advanced video stabilization; One-button control.
- Max Photo Resolution: Up to 10MP / 30fps burst.
- Max Video Resolution: 4K at 30fps; 1440p at 60fps; 1080p at 90fps.
- Memory: microSD (up to 128 GB).
- Dimensions: 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.4 inches.
- Weight: 0.16 pounds.
The Hero5 Session is one of the most capable Hero cameras – at it’s currently more affordable than ever before. It is no longer sold by GoPro but you can always grab a piece from Amazon. The camera is ultra-compact in design and can fit in your pocket without a problem.
The Hero5 is power-packed with numerous interesting features. You will be able to shoot cinematic 4K videos at 30fps. The camera is also waterproof and can be taken to water depths nearing 10m (33ft). It comes with has built-in video stabilization and will also cancel wind noise thanks to two special microphones. The camera also comes with advanced built-in video stabilization, which ensures your video footage is as stable and smooth as it can be even when shot handheld.
7. GoPro Session
- Features: Waterproof to 33 feet; Uses standard frame; Curved adhesive mount; Bluetooth and Wi-Fi; Rugged design.
- Max Photo Resolution: Up to 8MP / 10fps burst.
- Max Video Resolution: 1440p at 30fps; 1080p at 60fps.
- Memory: microSD (up to 128 GB).
- Dimensions: 1.5 x 1.4 x 1.5 inches.
- Weight: 0.16 pounds.
A might camera, the Hero Session is a strong contender in the best GoPro models. This beast will allow you to record 1080p at 60fps though you can also record higher resolution video (1440p) at 30fps. Photographers can grab beautiful 8 MP frames.
The camera is extremely affordable – at $119, it is one of the most inexpensive GoPros around. The camera is also waterproof and can be taken up to a depth of 10m without a problem. This model also features a convenient one-button control – you can power the camera on and it will automatically start recording. Turn the recording off and the camera will switch itself off to conserve battery. It can’t really be any simpler. Like other GoPro cameras, it is very compact and can be easily mounted on helmets, cycles, etc. You will also be able to enjoy shooting breathtaking time-lapse shots with this device.
With this, we wrap up our review of the best GoPro cameras. We hope you could find useful information to be able to decide which camera will serve you the best.
Written by David Minister